With so many major events happening this year, how do you ensure that you balance everyone having the opportunity to attend the Olympics for example and manage the minority who will abuse the absence system to take “extra” holiday.
This is such a difficult line for small businesses; so how are they best managed? Here are my top 5 tips:-
- 1) Ensure that you have a robust holiday process.
- 2) Leave should be booked on a “first come, first served” basis.
- 3) Employees who are absent without authorisation will not be paid in respect of days not worked.
- 4) Employees who are absent without permission on the day of a major sporting event and who are not able to provide medical evidence or a sound explanation for their absence will be subject to the organisation’s disciplinary procedure.
- 5) Remember this is an exceptional year and very often you end up making rules for the minority rather than the majority.